Sunday, March 20, 2005

Relationships

"Our personal relationships are most important."

I believe we are on this earth to gain wisdom through experience. And the most valuable experience is gained through our personal relationships. When we're confronted with our own humanity, like having a serious illness, we never focus on material or financial aspects of our life, we focus on our relationships. We never say, "Damn, I wish I had bought a bigger house" or "Jeez, I never got that promotion". We say things like, "I wish I could have gotten closer to my dad." or "I wish I could have spent more time with my kids."


And yet, when going after our goals, we tend to focus on material and personal development. When there is a conflict between spending time with family and friends, and our career for example, all too often family and friends take a back seat.


Our time is finite in this life. If we aren't careful and keep putting our relationships on the back burner, there may come a time when we don't have enough time left to build those relationships to where we would like them to be. Which can equate to a life of regrets.

2 Comments:

At 4:19 p.m., Blogger Larry Clayton said...

Gizmo:
You write well and you think well, but it appears that I'm the first reader to comment. Maybe you don't want any, but I suspect that most people who blog hope for some response.


I would suggest that you find a tribe, group, that share your values.
You sound like a universalist to me. There are lots of tribes and groups of that stripe. Find one, and you may be blessed with some creative and satisfying dialogue, or even better colloquy.

Best wishes

 
At 8:44 a.m., Blogger Walter said...

Hi, Larry

I definately do want some comments. I love to hear other perspectives.

I'll look for for a tribe and/or group.

Thanks for the advice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home